Dealing with mold in attic is frustrating and stressful for homeowners. Mold is a type of fungus that produces allergens and irritants. Touching or inhaling mold may cause breathing issues and allergic reactions, so it is essential to kill it fast and remove it for good.
Causes of Attic Mold
Mold comes in various sizes and shapes, but the health concerns are the same. Whether you have white, green, yellow, or black mold in your attic, it is vital to treat it so it won’t spread and cause health issues.
The attic is the closest thing to your roof, meaning moisture is more likely to develop, resulting in black or white mold in the attic. However, black mold may appear in attics due to other reasons, including:
- Water from leaks
- Condensation by the water heater or furnace
- Poor attic ventilation
- Poor floor insulation
- A leaking roof
Signs of Having Mold in Your Attic
Attics are the ideal place for mold to thrive. If you notice any of the following signs, talk to a professional and consider appropriate solutions to get rid of mold in the attic.
- Dark stains on wooden surfaces
- Hot and stuffy air, despite the attic ventilation
- Mildew smell in the attic that gets worse with time
- Frost buildup or roof sheathing during the winter months
- Roof leaks
- We insulation in the attic
- Water dripping from light fixtures or smoke detectors
How to Get Rid of Mold in Attic
Is mold in the attic a common issue for you and your family? Whether you deal with white, black, or wood mold in the attic, it is essential to consider the following ways and get rid of this dangerous fungus.
DIY Mold Removal
Before you turn to a professional for removing mold in attic insulation, walls, or ceilings, you want to try and solve the problem yourself using home products. Here are a few tactics to try:
- Vinegar and water – White vinegar efficiently cleans and disinfects various surfaces and kills mold. All you need to do is mix 20% vinegar with water in a spray bottle and apply it to the moldy surface.
- Mold removal products – You can also use baking soda, essential oils, lemons, and commercial mold removal products to remove mold.
Hire Professional Attic Mold Removal Services
While DIY mold removal tactics are efficient and can help you get rid of the mold, hiring a professional attic mold removal service is a faster and safer way to kill the mildew. Professional mold removers use appropriate tools and products to quickly remove mold from walls, floors, and ceilings, leaving no stains or damage behind.
Here is what to expect when hiring a professional:
- A thorough inspection of the area
- Drying and mold removal
- Removal of infested insulation and installing a new one
- Mold control
- Bath fan vent repair or installation
How to Prevent Mold in the Attic
Any mold can reproduce without prevention and appropriate treatment, causing severe structural deterioration and health hazards. The best way to avoid these problems is to prevent mold in the attic. Here are a few tips to help you in the process:
- Check your roof for possible water leaks
- Ensure proper ventilation
- Make sure your home has adequate and quality insulation
- Remove mold from attic completely
- Avoid using a vacuum to get rid of mold
- Consult with an attic expert to discuss possible preventative measures
The best way to get rid of mold in attic is to partner with Insulation Co. LLC in Mount Vernon, WA. With years of experience in this field, we have the tools, products, and knowledge to get rid of mold quickly and efficiently.
Call 425-903-6453 for a free quote and learn more about our top-rated services.