Mold in the home can have devastating effects on all inhabitants. Symptoms can range from a sore, dry throat to a severe lung infection. Different types of mold in homes can impact both living and material objects.
Fortunately, mold can be cleaned or destroyed. At Insulation Co., we offer a vast selection of mold removal services.
Common Types of Mold Found in the Home
These are the most common types of household mold seen regularly:
- Acremonium – Grows in high-moisture areas and is known to cripple immune systems, bone marrow, and brain function.
- Alternaria – Tends to be found in structure accessory areas (wallpaper, carpet, AC units, curtains) and causes pulmonary, lung, and asthmatic issues.
- Aspergillus – A cluster of mold spores typically located in damp areas like kitchens, laundry rooms, and bathrooms. It is toxic to those with compromised immune systems and can lead to lung infections.
- Aureobasidium – A slimy mold usually found beneath caulk, grout, and wallpaper. Physical irritations and hay fever are common symptoms of this mold.
- Chaetomium – Can grow on drywall, wood, and in cellars and causes issues related to asthma.
- Cladosporium – Grows under items like carpet, wallpaper, and windowsills. It causes allergic irritations.
Dangers That Molds Bring
Mold growing in the home can be hazardous, even on the most basic level. Household molds in air ducts can fill a space with toxic air, leaving anyone susceptible to an allergic reaction. Typical responses to molds may result in symptoms similar to the common cold.
More advanced reactions aggravate preexisting conditions like asthma, chronic allergies, and lung conditions. Advanced reactions can spread into the body, causing lung infections, pulmonary bleeding, liver and kidney conditions, and cancer. These are just a few reasons why aggressive mold prevention and removal should take priority in every home.
Where Do Molds Grow?
Molds thrive in areas high in moisture, under or behind materials, and in neglected areas. Crawl spaces and damp attics are ideal for molds, as they are rarely disturbed and can breed in hard-to-reach areas.
Additional areas in the home where types of molds can flourish are sites close to plumbing and basements. Bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms require plumbing, which gives vitally needed moisture to molds. Likewise, a home with a deteriorating foundation will likely have mold and mildew in the basement, as water can creep through cracks and pool in the cellar.
How to Prevent and Remove Molds in Your Home
Mold prevention is vital for maintaining a healthy, livable environment. Along with general cleaning, extra steps can be taken to manage mold from spreading in your home. Crawl space mold removal is the best service to prevent molds.
Preventing Molds in Your Home
- Control the humidity: Keeping humidity levels low ensures a dry home free of lingering moisture.
- Fix any leaks: Leaks happen due to plumbing and incorrectly functioning machinery. Keep a close eye on appliances and pipework where water is present.
- Clean up after flooding: Floods provide significant breeding grounds for molds. Pooled water affects the air quality and can potentially spill onto seemingly unaffected areas.
Removing Molds in Your Home
- Bleach solution: Add one cup of bleach to one gallon of water and apply to the affected area.
- Hydrogen peroxide solution: Pour 3% solution into a spray bottle and spray over affected areas. Let sit for 15 minutes and wipe clean.
- Distilled white vinegar solution: Pour white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray directly. Do not wipe clean, as the acidity needs to soak into the mold.
- Hire an expert: If DIY solutions are not working, contact Insulation Co. for proper removal.
Different types of molds in homes can be devastating without proper maintenance. Insulation Co. has served the Mount Vernon area with over 50 years of experience and has the know-how to rid your space of mold. Call us for a free same-day quote at 425-903-6453!